Comfort food has never tasted so good with this Moussaka. The juicy lamb mince paired with a creamy sauce makes it the perfect way to feed your family during autumn.
- 2 large eggplants, thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g lamb mince
- 420g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/3 cup grated pizza cheese
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 75g salted butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Spray eggplant with olive oil spray. Cook eggplant for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Once cooked, transfer to a large plate.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat then add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened while stirring. Add mince and break it up and allow to cook for 7 minutes or until browned. Add cinnamon, tomatoes and allspice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until sauce is thick (about 30 minutes).
- Whilst that is simmering, make the sauce. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add flour. Cook for a minute or until bubbling whilst stirring then gradually stir in milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease an 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Place a third of the eggplant (slightly overlapping) over the base. Spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layers, ending with eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then serve with lemon wedges.
- Enjoy your Moussaka
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.