Tastier and healthier than takeaway, bring the taste of Korea to your dining table with this classic beef bulgogi recipe.
- ½ onion
- 3 green onions/scallions
- 4 inch carrot (10 cm)
- 1½ lb thinly sliced beef (chuck or rib eye) (can also use tenderloin, top sirloin; See Notes)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (roasted)
- ½ Tbsp toasted white sesame seeds (for topping)
- 4 tbsp Korean soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (roasted)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (don’t substitute with honey as it burns easily)
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- ½ Asian pear, grated
- In a large bowl, add soy sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar, and crushed/minced garlic.
- Grate ½ of an Asian pear. Add freshly ground black pepper and mix all together. Cut the onion into thin slices and cut the green onion into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces and then cut in half lengthwise.
- Using a peeler, peel some carrot (or slice thinly). Add the onion, green onions, carrot in the marinade and mix all together.
- Add the meat in the marinade, separating each slices. Mix all together to coat with the marinade. I wear plastic gloves so I can mix thoroughly with my hands.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes or best if overnight.
- In a large skillet (I use a cast iron grill pan here), heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil over medium high heat.
- Cook the marinated meat in a single layer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to the plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- If you have a single serving cast iron plate, you can use it to keep the meat warm for a longer time.
- Enjoy your Korean beef bulgogi.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.