Add this mouthwatering and classic Lancashire hotpot to your selection of staple dinners during this Autumn period for a tasty family dinner.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 100g butter
- 900g stewing lamb
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 25g plain flour
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml lamb or chicken stock
- 900g potato, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Heat a little of the 100g butter in a large shallow casserole dish and brown 900g stewing lamb chunks in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with 3 trimmed and sliced lamb kidneys. Fry 2 chopped onions and 4 peeled and sliced carrots in the pan with a little more butter until golden.
- Sprinkle over 25g plain flour, allow to cook for a couple of mins, shake over 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, pour in 500ml lamb or chicken stock, then bring to the boil. Stir in the stewing lamb and 2 bay leaves, then turn off the heat.
- Arrange 900g peeled and sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then drizzle with a little more butter.
- Cover, then place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more butter, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.
- Enjoy your Lancashire hotpot
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.