Chicken tagine is a traditional Moroccan dish made with braised chicken coated in spiced, onion, garlic and lemon. This recipe results in plenty of servings to share with your family.
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 kg)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 large carrots cut into coins
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lemon
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4-in-thick slices
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Greek cracked green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Combine spices in a small bowl and set aside. Zest the lemon and combine 1 tsp of the lemon zest with 1 minced garlic clove; set aside.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or pan over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke. Brown chicken pieces skin side down in single layer until deep golden, about 5 minutes, flip the chicken pieces over and brown the other side for about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate then peel off the skin and discard. Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have browned at the edges but still retain their shape, 5 to 7 minutes (add a few tablespoons of water now and then if the pan gets too dark). Add the remaining minced garlic and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add the four and spices and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, remaining lemon zest, honey, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken back in, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cover, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the carrots are tender-crisp for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the olives, reserved lemon zest-garlic mixture, coriander, and 1 tbsp of the lemon juice; taste the sauce and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired and serve.
- Enjoy your chicken tagine.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.