When you think of an Indian staple, we’re pretty certain a Chicken Tikka Masala comes to mind. Creamy and flavoursome, this is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 4 teaspoons ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 370g (1 ½ cups) whole-milk yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1kg chicken breasts, skinless and halved
- 3 tablespoons ghee (butter) or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 55g (¼ cup) tomato paste
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- ½ teaspoons crushed chilli flakes
- 1 x 800g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 480g (2 cups) heavy cream
- 500g steamed basmati rice, for serving
- Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yoghurt, salt and half of the spice mixture in a medium bowl, add chicken and coat the breasts. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours and do the same with the remaining spice mixture.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom pods and chilli flakes and cook, while stirring, until the onion has softened and tomato paste has darkened. Add the rest of the spice mixture and cook until the bottom of the pot begins to brown, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato, including juices, and crush with your hands or a spoon before putting them in the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often to remove the browned parts from the bottom of the pot, for 8-10 minutes or when the sauce thickens.
- Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens further, about 30-40 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the chicken. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for another 5 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- With steamed basmati rice at the ready, divide the curry amongst bowls and garnish with coriander.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.