A simple and classic Chinese dish packed with flavour. This quick and easy Chicken Chow Mein recipe can be whipped up in a flash for those nights when it all seems too difficult.
- 200g of our chicken thigh fillets (cut into small pieces)
- 1 ½ tbsp peanut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 200g Chow Mein Noodles
- 3-4 cups of green cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 carrot (julienned)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 shallot (cut into 5cm pieces)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup of Chow Mein sauce
Chow Mein Sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour (or cornstarch)
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 1½ tbsp chinese cooking wine (or sherry wine)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- White pepper
- To prepare the chow mein sauce, mix the cornstarch and soy sauce together, then add remaining ingredients.
- Pour 1tbsp of chow mein sauce over chicken and marinate for 10 minutes
- Prepare the noodles according to packet instructions
- Add oil to large fry pan over high heat. Add garlic and fry for 10-20 seconds until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add chicken and fry for 1 minute (until the skin is sealed but is still raw inside). Add the cabbage, carrot, and the base of the shallot to the pan and stir-fry until the cabbage begins to wilt and chicken is cooked through.
- Add the remaining chow mein sauce to the pan with ¼ cup of water and noodles. Stir-fry for one minute, allowing the noodles to be coated in the sauce.
- Add bean sprouts and remaining shallots, quickly cook through for one minute then take the pan off the heat and serve immediately.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.