Add plenty of spices and paprika to turn those simmering beef chunks into a scrumptious flavour packed Hungarian Beef Goulash to satisfy a hearty hunger.
- 750g gravy beef, trimmed and diced into 3cm cubes
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 red capsicums, 2cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- Egg noodles
- 400g can of tomatoes
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 2 Tbs plain flour
- 2 Tbs sweet paprika
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs sour cream
- Chopped fresh Parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish on medium-high. Cook the beef for 5 – 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat last tablespoon of oil, adding onion, garlic, capsicum and mushrooms. Stir the mixture for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent. Add beef back into the pot with flour and paprika and stir for 1 minute. Add bay leaves.
- Add your stock and tomatoes and bring to a light boil. Transfer the whole dish to the oven and bake for 2 hours until beef is tender.
- To thicken the liquid, drain ¼ liquid from the goulash and mix with sour cream until smooth. Reincorporate thickened liquid and stir to combine. Serve on top of egg noodles and add parsley to garnish.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.