A favourite for winter (and all-year-round), there’s nothing better than a classic beef casserole to feed the family. It’s also a great dish to use for leftovers or lunches!
- 1.5kg chuck steak, cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunky cubes
- 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and sliced
- 2 leeks, using the white part only and sliced
- 1 cup of beef stock
- ¼ cup of red wine
- 2 x 425g cans of crushed tomatoes
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook the beef in 4 batches and once browned, set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add remaining oil, onions, carrots, celery and leeks to the pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, tomatoes, wine and stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 1 hour, covered. After the hour has passed, remove the lid and allow the casserole to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the beef becomes tender.
- Divide the casserole into 4 portions and serve with mashed potato or crunchy bread and add parsley leaves on top. With the remaining casserole, divide into containers to enjoy the next day.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.