A hearty beef stew braised in red wine. This traditional recipe is sure to have family and friends begging for seconds. Served best with mashed or roasted potato.
Beef Bourguignon –
- 1kg of Pendle Ham & Bacon Rump Steak (Cut into large chunks)
- 300g Pendle Ham & Bacon smoked speck
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml red wine (boiled briefly)
- 2 carrots (halved lengthwise)
- 2 celery stalks (halved lengthwise)
- 1 leek (halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 5 shallots (halved)
- 300g button mushrooms
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
Carrot Puree –
- 5 carrots (chopped)
- Pinch of salt
- Begin by pouring wine into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil briefly and cook off acidity.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. In stages, place beef in the saucepan and brown the batches. Once the final batch is browned, add the carrot, celery, leek, onion and shallots to the remaining oil and juices and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine the beef and vegetables in a large baking dish. Stir through the thyme, bay leaves and speck. Pour over the wine and season with salt and pepper and cover with lid. Bring to the boil briefly on a medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a low and cook for 40 minutes, stirring the dish occasionally.
- To prepare the carrot puree, bring carrots to the boil with salt. Boil carrots until soft then puree using a blender or food processor.
- Once meat is tender, add the carrot puree and mushrooms to the bourguignon and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve bourguignon with mashed or roasted potatoes.
The majority of the ingredients in this recipe are available in our store, please head in to see us and we would be glad to help you put this delicious meal together.